Amish Friendship Bread

Posted by Netta



Isn't it sad that I bake so rarely, that when I do I feel the need to tell the world...literally! hahaha
I decided I wanted to make some Amish Friendship Bread, but didn't have a starter.... and where do you find a starter........the Amish? nope... you check out the internet. I googled the requested recipe and located it on http://www.allrecipe.com/ . Along with the starter you will find variations of the recipe as well. So this morning was the 10th day of the cycle..... and I wasn't sure if I even have friends that would want the starter, so I finally baked 4 batches of bread... leaving me with one cup of starter. The 4 batches made 18 muffins, 2 larger loaves, 4 medium loaves, and 4 really small loaves. Pete and the girls really liked the muffins, so I have put some in freezer bags to make a quick breakfast on rushed mornings. It has to be better for you than poptarts. Notice the sink full of dirty dishes too. I have to mess up everything in the kitchen and then try to wash up as I go. By the way, you are supposed to leave the starter in a loosely covered bowl at room temperature. If you decide that you want to stop the process, you can put it in the refrigerator. This suspends the cycle.
Blessings to you and yours :)

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous said...

    Netta, About 17 or 18 years ago, right after me and Donald got married, I had some of this starter and having it covered too tight, it bubbled over the top and onto the counter - Donald claimed it was alive and was scared to eat the bread after I finally got to bake some plus he said he didn't know where the starter had been and didn't trust what someone might have put in there - and he came from a big family!!!!!!!! I enjoy reading your blog - I check in just about everyday but I don't post a comment - Keep up the good work - I love to see what's happening with the Cook Family - Love You Guys!

  2. Anonymous said...

    I now know why I never made Friendship bread. I thought long and hard about it last year, but nah. I did sourdough for a while & hated looking at that nastiness in my fridge, plus feeding it, etc. Too much time for me. But the stuff is toooo yummy. I did have a recipe last year (have to look for it) for a bread that takes 1 or 2 months. Thought about doing it for Christmas presents, we'll see!

  3. Anonymous said...

    sorry, hit enter before typing my name

  4. Melanie said...

    I could eat a whole loaf of that stuff (with cinnamon butter) right now. I had to quit making it because we LOVE it so much.